Chocolate Coconut Pie
For the pie crust
- 2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 1/2 cup organic butter OR organic margarine
- 2 Tbsp Camino’s Dutch-processed Cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp Camino’s Golden cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of water
For the filling
- 1/2 cup melted organic butter or organic margarine
- 1 cup Camino’s Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 3 Tbsp Camino’s Whole brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Camino’s Golden cane sugar
- 2 range free or organic eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped organic pecans
- 1/2 cup Camino’s Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup Camino’s Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add the butter or margarine and mix using your hands until a sandy texture is reached. Pour the water over the mix and gently press the dough into a ball. Tip: handle the dough as little as possible, since overworking will make it tough.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F (175 ˚C.)
- Dust a clean and dry surface with flour. Flatten the dough slightly with your hands and dust it lightly with flour before rolling it out on the flat surface. Fold the dough into four and then unfold it into your 9” pie plate. Using a kitchen knife, trim the dough to leave a half-inch overhang. Fold the overhanging dough under itself onto the flat rim of the pie plate.
- Puncture the dough with a fork in many locations to avoid bubbles from forming and then place the dish into the pre-heated oven for about 15 min.
- Using a double boiler, add 1 cup of Camino’s Semi-sweet chocolate chips and then pour the melted butter on top. Stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, Camino’s Whole brown sugar and Camino’s Golden cane sugar. Then add the melted chocolate mixture to the bowl and stir in the eggs and vanilla. Fold in pecans, Camino’s Shredded coconut, and 1/4 cup Camino’s Semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-cooked pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 min. After 20 min., remove the dish from the oven, sprinkle a bit of Camino’s Shredded coconut on top and place it back in the oven for the last 5 min. The top of the pie should be set and may crack slightly, but the inside of the pie is best if left slightly under-baked.