Cranberry Chocolate Tart
Olivia is providing us with this perfect dessert for a festive dinner. This chocolate tart has a tart cranberry filling and is topped off with whipped cream. It’s a scrumptious and light treat for your dinner party. Find more recipes from this self-taught Ottawa based baker on her blog: inspiringolivia.com Makes an 8 inch tart
Chocolate Tart Crust
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 1/4 cup Camino Natural cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup organic icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted organic butter
- 1 large organic egg yolk
- 2 tsp organic heavy cream (35%)
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 cup Camino Golden cane sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups of fresh frozen organic cranberries
- Zest from half a large orange
Whipped Cream + Topping
- 1 cup organic heavy cream (35%)
- Zest from the other half of the orange
- Chocolate shaving from Camino’s Bittersweet baking chocolate bar (71% cacao)
- In a bowl, cut the butter, flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt with a pastry blender or two knives until it resembles a crumble.
- Add the egg yolk, cream and mix until the dough holds together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- When ready, roll the dough until it’s 1/8 inch thick and press into the tart tin. Trim away any excess.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and bake for 20 minutes with pie weights atop parchment paper (you can bake without pie weights as well).
- Remove crust and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, add water and sugar. Bring to a boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Add in your washed cranberries and bring to a boil. Cook until the cranberries open and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once the cranberries have opened up, add in the zest of half an orange.
- Remove from heat and cool.
Assembling the tart
- Whip the whipped cream until you have stiff peaks.
- Fill the chocolate tart with the cranberry filling, there may be excess filling.
- Add the whipped cream on top. Zest the remainder of the orange on top and shave chocolate curls as a garnish.
- You can eat this tart warm or cold.